EE SWITCHES ON 5G IN SIX MORE MAJOR UK CITIES AND FINISHES 2019 WITH 5G IN 50 PLACES
- EE introduces 5G to six new major UK cities – Hull, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland
- First 5G sites also switched on in Northampton, Stevenage and Wakefield
- More high footfall locations now covered with 5G, including London Euston, Cardiff Central station, and Belfast’s Kingspan Stadium
- 5G from EE now live in 50 cities and large towns – more places than any other operator
- Rollout continues, as EE passes 2019 5G ambition and sets next target of more than 70 cities and large towns by March 2020, in time for next big 5G device launches
18 December, London: EE today announced it has switched on its first 5G sites in six new cities across the UK, bringing the UK’s best mobile experience to a total of 50 cities and large towns in 2019.
EE launched with 5G coverage in London, Edinburgh, Belfast, Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester in May, and has expanded 5G on a daily basis. Today, EE has added 5G to Hull, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland, surpassing its target of introducing 5G to 16 UK cities in 2019. EE has also switched on its first 5G sites in Northampton, Stevenage and Wakefield.
As well as switching on the first 5G sites in new cities and large towns, EE has also brought 5G to more high footfall places, including London Euston Station, Cardiff Central station, Glasgow’s Bath Street and St Enoch Square, Belfast’s Kingspan Stadium, and Coventry’s Council House and Cathedral ruins.
EE is leading the UK on 5G rollout, and has set the new aim of having 5G live in more than 70 cities and large towns by March 2020, in time for the next big 5G device launches.
Marc Allera, CEO of BT’s consumer division, said: “We switched on the UK’s first 5G network in May, and this is another milestone towards keeping our customers connected 100% of the time. We’re leading the way in the UK, with 4G and 5G coverage in more places than any other operator. Adding 5G to more cities and towns – and expanding our 5G coverage in each place – is helping us to always deliver the best mobile experience to our customers.”
According to the latest independent RootMetrics 5G testing in London, Birmingham and Cardiff, EE’s 5G network achieved the highest average download speed and highest 5G availability.
EE customers with a 5G device on a 5G plan can enjoy 5G in the following cities and large towns today:
· Potters Bar
· Sutton Coldfield
· West Bromwich
For more information on EE’s 5G network, 5G Smart plans and 5G devices, customers can visit www.ee.co.uk/5G.